Friday 28 September 2007

The Wonder Stuff




Ah yes, The Stuffies. I only ever saw them live once at the Brixton Academy in 1990 which according to Room512.com was on the 21st August (I know that mainly because Janes Addiction were in support and had replaced the Ned's from the support slot for which I was pissed off with them and then they were totally c&*p anyway).
I first heard '8 Legged Groove Machine' on a tape I got from a friend at school which had 'The Stone Roses' on the other side - I wasn't sure about the Roses at the time. They soon became my favourite band of my school days and they provided some wonderful albums. I remember now getting 'Hup' on its first day of release and I also bought Jesus Jones' debut album the same day. What I think I liked best was the attitude from Miles Hunt and then also the pop songs with catchy lyrics and especially the fiddle parts from 'Fiddly' from 'Elvis' onwards.
At Uni when I first got into using the internet and email I was part of The Stuffies email list and managed to get hold of some great rare stuff, unfortunately most of which is now on tape and I don't have a way of playing. One of the best tapes came from Russ Hunt (Miles' Brother) who produced a tape with solo stuff and various rare tracks - thanks Russ if you happen to come across this.



I was thinking about what sort of things I wanted to put on this page and I settled on three songs. Firstly there's an early track from the 'Eight Legged Groove Machine' LP and then one of my absolute favourites 'Sing The Absurb' which is from the 'Construction For The Modern Idiot' album (their last proper album before the first ending of the band). In this acoustic radio performance from the 'Love Bites & Bruises' album its perhaps their finest moment in my eyes. In the same acoustic mode 'Can't Shape Up, Again' is the companion piece to 'Can't Shape Up' from 'Hup' and works great if you play the first followed by the second. Then finally 'Just Helicopters' which was a B-sides on the 'Hot Love Now' E.P. collection and one of their best later tunes.
Enjoy.

For more information:
The Wonder Stuff on Wikipedia
Room 512 - An Unofficial Wonderstuff Fansite

Essential Listening:
Never Loved Elvis
Love Bites & Bruises

No comments: